Wednesday 21 October 2015


A day in the life of Miss Leslie

 

Just before Easter last year, I finally got the qualification I had been dreaming of for years; to be a qualified teacher. 

 

Despite all the lectures at university, all the placement days at various schools in and around Portsmouth and despite my working knowledge of school life through years of working in schools, nothing could prepare me for the highs and lows that were to come. 

My day starts at 5:30am when I drag myself up, sleepily arriving at school at 6:30am before the day has fully broken. After ten minutes negotiating the kettle and battling with the computer, I settle down to read my emails and plan the day ahead. Without a moment spare, the clock quickly turns to half past eight and we are greeted enthusiastically with homework books, lunch money and news of achievements and evening entertainment. Mental maths folders dutifully completed and put away, it's time for assembly and a moment breather...unless I'm in charge of assembly - scariest part of the job without fail!

 

English, one of my favourite parts of the curriculum, is usually a highlight of my day. I love language exploration and seeing children's faces become animated and excited at the 'best bit ever' in the writing they have done that day. Breaktime, a ten minute interlude of green tea and babybel’s, provides me with the sustenance needed for the next hour of maths. Before I know it, lunch time comes around and time to think about what we get to do this afternoon. My personal favourite is Science, a hands-on exploration of our world as we understand it. I especially like experiment days! 3 o’clock comes around, with a flurry of letters, bags and messages to go home, and even the Tenor Horns on a Tuesday as well! After school, the first thing that happens is another round of negotiation with the kettle. Then I let the birds out, praying profusely that they will go home again without me and Miss Barnard having to chase them around the classroom! Yes...this is a once-a-week occurrence! Marking all the hard work from the day has its own joys, especially when the passion from the lesson leaps from the page. And finally, at 6 o'clock, it's home time and time I go to the Gym if I'm good (it's a 50-50 likelihood!). 

 

That, in a nutshell, is the day in my life - I hope you have enjoyed it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment